Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week Day 3

Diabetes Blog Week Day #3

Yesterday we gave ourselves and our loved ones a big pat on the back for one thing we are great at. Today let’s look at the flip-side. We probably all have one thing we could try to do better. Why not make today the day we start working on it. No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on!
I have to apologize for waiting until late to make this post. I wanted to wait until after my appointment with my doctor (who is AWESOME) before I wrote this. OK I really just wanted to get my latest A1c before I wrote this, if I'm gonna be honest.

We all know there is something we need to improve on. As I waited to be called back to the exam room, I "cheated" and read the first 33 blogs posted on the Bittersweet list. What a familiar refrain! Get back on the wagon after falling off, exercise more, test more, change lancet/infusion set more, be more positive, relax more, etc. More, more, more. All things that we as diabetics struggle with on a daily basis.

I've been mulling on this topic all day, because, frankly, I think I'm in the catbird seat with control (more on that later...), I've actually changed my lancet three times since Friday (unheard of I know!), and for three days I have bolused for literally everything crossing my lips! So with that and my MD visit in mind, I have decided on what I need to improve on. Here it is:

CONNECTIONS


LINKS


REACHING OUT

 

I need to keep my eye on this prize, my control, but reach out and help others attain theirs. The best way for me to do that right now is this blog. I hope to keep up the momentum and add to this every day! (OK, every other day, or at least twice a week.) I'd like to become more involved in my local diabetes community and perhaps even my state! Big dreams I know, but if you are gonna dream, I say you better dream big! I've pretty much been keeping to myself on this, but I am feeling empowered after today's visit and want to reach out to others. That is what I can improve on.

Waiting for the details on my doctor visit and why I am so DAMN PROUD of myself? A year ago, I was struggling with my dia-dragon and he was winning. By December my A1c was a whopping 10.7%! That was when I made a determined effort to slay the beast. By mid-February, I had dropped it to 8.7%. I've made a few changes in the last two months and today, I was rewarded for all my hard work with an A1c of....



I know, I try not to let the numbers define who I am, but I have to admit getting that thing down almost 4 points in 5 months feels pretty damn good. Time to pay it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment