Monday, April 9, 2012

How to Count a Banana

For those new to carb counting, it can be very confusing. OK, I'm math challenged, so maybe it's me.

Woke up this morning with a BS of 79. Very good for me, but at the level where I usually feel the urge to wipe out the bakery stock. Fortunately, for my local bakery, I wasn't having that particular "Eat or DIE" feeling.

Look in freshly stocked kitchen for something healthy. I am completely willing to trade off a few carbs for better nutrition and good taste. Enter the common banana.

They look so innocent sitting there on the counter, pristine yellowness glowing in the morning sunlight. They are at the peak of ripeness. Beautiful. How many carbs are in a banana? Damned if I know. But I want one. Should I have only half, after all, fruit is nothing but a boat load of great tasting carbs with a few healthy additives, right? No, I want the whole thing.

So, I get on the internet and point my browser to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list ) and enter "banana" in the search box. Holy crap! Mashed, sliced, extra small to extra large, and NLEA serving (whatever that is). Look over to innocent banana and think "they don't come with size markings and I'll be danged if I'm gonna smush this little beauty up and measure it!" So, I SWAG it, calling it medium, after all I've seen bigger ones, enjoy it's perfect banana-ness and bolus one unit for it. (25g).

Fast forward an hour and a half later. blood sugar now 145. Crap. I guess she was bigger than I thought. Eyeball her six sisters resting on the counter, guess the rest of you earned 2 units!

No comments:

Post a Comment