Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thoughts for the day


The future depends on what we do in the present. -Gandhi
 
 
Every day with diabetes is a new day. It doesn't really matter what happened yesterday or last week, because it is my choice right now to manage diabetes in the way that works best for me. So each day I start fresh, let go of what didn't work yesterday and move forward. On the other hand, it's always nice to look back and be able to see a pattern of what works and use that to guide your current choices. I saw the endo last week and got my A1c results. (Note: it's just another number in the calculus of diabetes management.) It's now down even further than previously. Honestly, it probably hasn't been this low since before my pancreas when kaput. And the best part is, it's not due to daily doses of hypoglycemia, but due to diligent management. I've been trying to grab diabetes by the throat and hold it down.
 


I met with the CDE and the RD last week. Was very disappointed to learn that there is not a T1D support group in my area. I get the reasoning, that many T1D's in the area are busy and active young adults, but it would be really nice to find some local folks who are doing the daily diabetes dance, just like me. (Alliteration is fun when it's spontaneous!) I was talking with my boss the other day at lunch, and telling her about the lack of person-to-person support. She looked at me and said, "So you're going to start one." I smiled, because she knows me so well! So now I'm planning on reaching out to JDRF and ADA for support to get something going. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be nice to have a T1D available to visit with people who are newly diagnosed, give tips and tricks, introduce new people to the DOC, and just generally love on people in a very trying time of their life. When I see the CDE again, next week, I'm going to bring that up. Perhaps there is something at the local hospitals that I can volunteer for, or at least provide my contact information to be made available to those newly diagnosed. I am feeling a definite calling to do this and am restless while I try to "get my house in order".
 
 My new Animas Ping pump came by UPS last Friday. It is a GORGEOUS blue.
OK, not the greatest pic ever, but it works!

When I ordered it I expressed my desire for a purple pump, and Caroline graciously sent me a complimentary purple pump cover! (Caroline, you are a genuine ROCKSTAR!!)
 
Freaking GORGEOUS! I'll be rocking my Kylee colors!

I've been checking the prices on the One Touch strips that go to the meter remote that came with my pump and HOLY COW! That's all I have to say about that. Let's just say it's not the $9 I currently spend for 50 strips for my Relion Prime meter. I'm not sure the convenience is worth the cost. I figure I'll use up the 10 strips that came with it when I get the pump up and running next month and go from there.
 

 

On that note, October 23rd is officially PUMP START DAY!! It can't possibly come soon enough, yet I know that time will pass quickly. 22 days and counting.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment